3.8. Check of a power supply system, replacement of the fuel filter
Gasoline is extremely flammable therefore during the work with any components of fuel system it is necessary to take special precautionary measures! You do not smoke, and do not approach the venue of works with naked flame or the carrying unprotected by the lamp shade. Do not perform such works in the garages equipped with the heating devices using natural gas (such as vodogre, dryers, etc.)! The working platform has to be ventilated well. At hit of gasoline on skin immediately wash away it water with soap. When carrying out any works with fuel system put on goggles and you hold near at hand the fire extinguisher. In case of a gasoline spillage immediately wipe a pool, but do not keep the rags impregnated with gasoline in places where the risk of its ignition is not excluded!
Check of system
- If you felt a gasoline smell during the movement or after the car stood in the sun, it is necessary to check a condition of all fuel system immediately.
- Uncover the fuel tank and check it for existence of damages and corrosion. The sealing insert on a cover has to be whole. In case of existence of damages or corrosion replace a cover.
- Survey inlet and returnable lines of fuel system on existence of cracks. Make sure that connections between lines of fuel system and system of injection of fuel, and also between lines of fuel system and the built-in fuel filter did not weaken.
- As some components of fuel system - for example, the fuel tank and some lines of fuel system - are in the lower part of the car, it is easier to examine them when the car is raised by the winch. If it is impossible, the car and install to a poddomkratta it on support.
- On the raised car examine the fuel tank and a bulk mouth on existence of holes, cracks and other damages. Pay special attention to a condition of connection between a bulk mouth and a tank. Sometimes leak of fuel happens owing to weakening of collars of fastening of a rubber mouth or because of mouth material damage. Examine all arms and lentykrepleniye of the fuel tank to make sure that it is reliably strengthened on the car.
Never, under no circumstances, try to repair the fuel tank (excepting replacement of its rubber components). The flame of the welding machine or any other naked flame can easily lead to explosion of evaporations of gasoline in a tank.
- Carefully check all fuel hoses and metal lines going from a tank for existence of the weakened connections, twisting, signs of wear of materials of hoses and other damages. If necessary you make repair or replace the damaged sections.
Replacement of the filter
Details of installation of the fuel filter on petrol models
- Details of installation of the fuel filter on petrol models are shown on an illustration.
- Open a cover of the fuel tank for the purpose of alignment of pressure in it with atmospheric.
- Remove the left back wheel.
- Remove a loker of protection of a wheel arch.
- Disconnect from assembly of the fuel filter pressure head (90/12) and returnable (90/11) lines, - squeeze lock uvulas on both sides of the lock, try not to allow twisting of tubes.
- Disconnect a tube of a sapun of the spring camera (77/3).
- Release a fixing collar (91/1) and take assembly of the fuel filter assembled with pressure regulator connected to its forward part.
- Estimate a condition of a fixing collar, in case of need make its replacement.
- Installation is made upside-down. A collar of fastening of the fuel filter tighten 3 Nanometers with effort.
- Start the engine and check the corresponding elements of a fuel path for existence of signs of development of leaks, in case of need tighten fixing collars / sockets.
Details of installation of the fuel filter on models 163.113 (ML 270 CDI) (1 of 2)
Details of installation of the fuel filter on models 163.113 (ML 270 CDI) (2 of 2)
Details of installation of the fuel filter on models 163.128 (ML 400 CDI)
Details of installation of the fuel filter on diesel models are shown on illustrations.
Removal of air from a power supply system of the diesel engine
If the engine stopped owing to full depletion of the fuel tank, then after gas station it is necessary to remove air from a power supply system. For this purpose within no more than 60 seconds without interruption start the engine until it begins to work steadily.